Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas From Panama

Just wanted to greet my readers from Panama with the Spanish greeting “Feliz Navidad”. My kids have all come down from cold cities in North America on flights to Panama, many of which are direct and range from 3 – 5 hours long in duration.

The Christmas season in Panama starts on December 8th, with a parade down the main street celebrating the Immaculate Conception. Young girls with wings on their dresses, dressed like angels, participate in the parade with a Statue of the Blessed Virgin. The children take their first communion this day.

Panamians clean their houses and prepare such delicious food as turkey (pavo), stuffing (relleno) tamales, arroz, arturo sauce, capers, meats, prunes and additional spices covered in plantain leaves and boiled. Traditional fruitcake is popular for the dessert.

At midnight, the feast is served, there is music, dancing and celebration in the streets as people visit their friends and family. Traditional Christmas music is heard, gaitas and villancicos. Nacimientos are displayed. There are even Christmas trees which were originally bought from Europe. Christmas lights on the houses brighten up the night.

The morning of December 25th, people go to church. Family and friends are visited, eating more traditional Christmas food. On the Epiphany, or the Dia de los Reyes, (King’s Day), the children are given presents. Since the Americans were in Panama, Christmas time has been a blend of Panamanian and American influences. It’s a joyous season here in Panama, this Christmas time, lots of food, music and friendly people.

I just wanted to wish my friends, Feliz Navidad from my retirement in Panama. The weather couldn't be better. For five seconds I wanted to see snow, well, because it's Christmas so I turned on my tv and watched the news stories of the storms in the north east. Every day, I think of how lucky I am to have decided to retire in Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment